January 7, 2010
January 6, 2010
Tuesday, December 28th
- Dropped Duncan off with Betsy, then drove from drove from DFW straight to Vicksburg (and listened to lots of NPR/history podcasts on the way - thanks Mags)
- Checked into the hotel and toured the town, visiting the city's military park and historic neighborhoods before dark
Wednesday, December 29th
- Toured the Vicksburg Battlefield and Military Park and saw the visitor center/film, Cairo exhibit, cemetery, and dozens of green fields and monuments made this a site well worth the trip
- Completed the nice drive to Natchez via the lush Highway 61
- Checked into our great hotel - the historic Natchez Eola right downtown, affordable and full of character
- Began exploring the town's historic areas and finished the evening with a great Cajun dinner at Breaux's
- Explored more of Natchez, including downtown, under-the-hill, and other areas in town
- Toured the Longwood Plantation, an amazing estate begun in 1851 and left unfinished upstairs
- Visited the kitsch Mammy's Cupboard (too bad they were closed!) and the sampled sweet muscadine wine at Old South Winery
- Toured the William Johnson House downtown - home of a successful freedman who also owned slaves
- Grabbed coffees, visited galleries, and shopped a bit
- Rang in the new year with a lovely dinner at Pearl Street Pasta
Friday, January 1st
- In our traditional road-trip fashion, got up early and booked it back home with minimal stops
An addition to our art collection by Natchez artist Patricia Knight.
More photos here.
January 3, 2010
Festivities at school, the Denton Wassailfest, a trip to Fort Worth, and a Texas snowstorm made December a fun month at our house. A few of our holiday plans were changed a bit with the snow on Christmas Eve, but all-in-all it was another wonderful winter break.
We enjoyed a relaxing brunch on Christmas Day with Matt's mom, a big family celebration with my mom's side of the family in Bonham, and enjoyed a small family celebration with my parents and Maggie and Jimmy in Carrollton. Hopefully we'll see the rest of Matt's family sometime soon too.
January 1, 2010
What's in store for us in the next year?
A few camping trips - maybe Lake Texoma and Enchanted Rock
Weekend getaways to fun places - Fredericksburg, Galveston, Hot Springs?
Maggie and Jimmy's wedding in Austin
A big vacation somewhere to celebrate 30th birthdays and our 5th anniversary
A new weekly photo project
More grad school for Matt and library work for me
Lots of fun with friends and family
And MAYBE get another dog - but we said that last year too and still only have the one trouble-maker